Sunday, September 12, 2010

My first sewing venture!

Lately, I have been obsessed with Project Runway! AND during my obsession, I just so happened to see a DIY skirt on a friends blog that I just HAD to make! Unfortunately, I do not having a sewing machine nor have I ever sewed on more than a button in my entire life. But I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, wanted to make this skirt!!!!

So while Kris and I were in Houston this weekend, I set out on my endeavor with my sister in law, Kat. She was a huge help at explaining the sewing jargon!!


BUT after about 5 hours divided between 2 days...

I ended up with this! AND I love it!!! I already know what I want to make next!

(The directions for this skirt are found here.)




PS. please don't mind my pony tail hair.. Our church is at 9am.. UHHH!



I made the band twice as wide as it instructs so I could wear a belt with it :)

11 comments:

  1. Omg that is soo cute!! You did a way good job! Once I get a sewing machine I'm gonna have to try this :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashley! That is awesome! You'll have to sew the flower girl dresses when lauren gets married!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. VERY cute Ashley! Look at you turning into Ms. Betty Homemaker over there!! I think I might have to make one too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. THX everyone! You should make it.. Very easy for a first timer :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. so cute!! i've been wanting to try that out too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks great! Glad you could use the tutorial

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I could write odes to sewing, this makes me very happy to see you sew now too!! You did great, lovin the color you picked out too!! Can't wait to see more projects ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You forgot to mention how much we hated the zipper! I do love it with the belt. I think I found some fabric I want to use to make me one!

    ReplyDelete